Friday, March 5, 2010

Arroz con Pollo Peruano(Peruvian Chicken with Rice)
I got this recipe from Milli-a friend from Peru-she had a cooking class at my house and showed us how to make this delicious dish. The way I make it would be called Arroz no con Pollo-because I make it vegetarian, but I will include the chicken recipe at the end. :-)
In a blender, put three sliced green bell peppers(just remove the stem-you can leave the pulp and seeds), about 1/2 cup water, and 1 bunch cilantro. The result should be a sauce that is not too thick or thin(Milli's words :-)
Chop 1 Onion(I've posted this before but I just couldn't cook without this chopper-called the Vidalia Onion Chopper-you can get it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $19.99)
Saute onion in 3 Tablespoons olive oil. Add 3 crushed cloves of garlic and two Tablespoons Cumin. Pour the pepper and cilantro mixture into the pan with the onions and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Boil six cups of water and add 3 cups of uncooked rice. Cook according to directions. Stir COOKED rice into sauce in frying pan and add 2 cups of frozen peas. Mix well and and stir until peas are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Meat recipe:
5 chicken breasts or thighs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 chopped onion
3 chopped cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
3 bell peppers
Cumin
cooked rice
2 cups frozen peas
In a pan with the oil, brown the chicken adding salt and pepper. Remove chicken from the pan. Add the onion and garlic and brown. Use the instructions above for the blender items. Add the sauce from the blender to the onion mixture. Put the chicken pieces back in the sauce. Let it simmer on low for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking to see if the meat is done. When the chicken is done, remove from the sauce and stir in the cooked rice and peas. Add the chicken back to the mixture and let set for 15 minutes. Serve.

2 comments:

Sharstin said...

yums!

Roxane said...

Hi Lori,
I love looking at your recipes. I think this is one I could attempt to make. My husband loves chicken thighs. He is gluten intolerant. I think I have said that before but I am happy to have recipes that he can have.