Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day Ten


For those of you that have read the book "The Hunger Games", today was a "hollow" day for me. "That's a day where no matter what you put in your belly, it's never enough." pg 230. "Hollow" days come to everyone...I think...but I got through it today by eating healthy and sticking with the plan. Yeah! For dinner tonight I made a quick and easy favorite-Cherry Chili with Spelt chips and Avocado. I know it sounds crazy, but the sweet of the cherry and the spicy of the chili is a great combination.




Cut one spelt tortilla into triangles and brown in coconut oil.
I always double this recipe....

Dried Cherry Chili
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup dried cherries(our grocery has them by the raisins)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
1 bottle roasted red pepper chopped, or one fresh red pepper chopped
1 tablespoon, plus one teas
chili powder
1 1/2 teas cumin
1 teas ground coriander
4 cups petite canned chopped tomatoes
1 16 oz can black beans
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1. Heat 1 cup of broth in micro wave. Place cherries in small bowl and
add hot broth and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add
onion(and red bell pepper if not using bottled roasted bell pepper);
saute about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Add chopped bottled
red pepper(if not using fresh), chili powder, cumin, coriander. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes
and remaining broth, bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered
about 5 minutes. Stir in beans, cilantro, and cherry mixture. Continue
cooking until thoroughly heated. I cut one tortilla into wedges and
fry in coconut oil and stick the triangles on one side of the bowl and
then chop a half of avocado and put on top of the chili. If you can
find spelt tortillas they don't have gluten and have only 100 calories.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that dish!

Sharstin said...

mmmm.. I am headed over!

Lori said...

I still have some left Shar...come on over! In fact, if you move back to Texas I will cook for you every night!!

Sharstin said...

wow~! I might take you up on that offer:)